My mother calls the contents of her jar of porridge toppings her "Nuts & Bolts" so I named this bread as a homage to her! It really is full of goodness and is perfect toasted and topped with a nut spread, jam or hummus. And wonderful served with poached eggs!
70g Sunflower Seeds
70g Pumpkin Seeds
90g Flaxseeds (Linseeds)
70g chopped nuts (Natural, not salted)
50g Psyllium Husk
150g Quinoa Flakes (you could also use Rolled Oats but these are not GF)
1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
• Place all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
• Add all of the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
• Set aside for 30 minutes. This allows the quinoa (or oats) to soak up the water)
• Grease a 1kg loaf pan and line the base with baking paper.
• Preheat the oven to 180oC.
• Pour the uncooked mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes in the middle shelf of the preheated oven.
• After 30 minutes, carefully remove the loaf from the tin and place the loaf upside down directly onto the oven shelf for a further 30-35 minutes.
• The loaf is ready when it has a hollow sound when tapped on the base.
• Allow to cool completely before slicing and eating.
• The bread will last in the fridge for up to 1 week. I usually slice mine and freeze.
• I serve 2 slices per portion.
• Psyllium Husk is a great source of dietary fibre. I use it in my Gluten Free cooking to help bind the ingredients. I use it in place of Xanthan Gum which is a little too glue like for my liking.